The WeVPN service can be used to ensure privacy and security whilst using a Linux machine.
Please Note: Some configurations may vary depending on the Linux distribution you are using.
To install and use the WeVPN service on Linux desktop using Terminal:
1. Open the Terminal window (Ctrl + Alt + T).
2. Install the OpenVPN package by entering the command:
sudo apt-get install openvpn unzip
If you are requested to enter your password, please enter your computer's admin password.
3. Navigate to OpenVPN directory by entering the command:
4. Download WeVPN OpenVPN configuration files by entering the command:
sudo wget https://www.wevpn.com/resources/openvpn/UDP.zip for UDP files
4b. TCP Config files are available by entering the command:
sudo wget https://www.wevpn.com/resources/openvpn/TCP.zip for TCP files
5. Extract the zipped folder of configurations by entering the command:
sudo unzip UDP.zip
6. Remove the .zip file which will not be used by entering the command:
sudo rm UDP.zip
7. To see the list of all the available servers enter the command:
8. Choose one of the servers from the servers list and connect to WeVPN by entering the command:
sudo openvpn [file name]
sudo openvpn GB_london-UDP.ovpn
sudo openvpn /etc/openvpn/GB_london-UDP.ovpn
9. OpenVPN will ask you for your login credentials. These can be found in the Members Area and selecting the Show Credentials button.
You have successfully connected to WeVPN if in the Terminal logs you can see Initialization Sequence Completed.
To disconnect from the OpenVPN connection simply open Terminal and press Ctrl + C.